Balthasar van der Ast, Basket of Fruits, 1625 Oil on wood, Staatliche Museen, Berlin. Image: WGA
via Scorched Earth
Hope & Glory Martin Hübscher Photography ©19 October 2019
- The nations, not so blest as thee,
- Must in their turn, to tyrants fall,
- While thou shalt flourish great and free,
- The dread and envy of them all.
- “Rule, Britannia! rule the waves:
- “Britons never will be slaves.”
- From ‘Rule Britannia!’ by James Thomson, 1740.
“Dread and envy” of other nations? Under Brexit? The first, maybe; the second, not so much….
P.S. China’s largest trading partner is…the EU